If you’re wondering what Ready. Set. WRITE! is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, planning, and keeping each other accountable. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Erin Funk, and Jaime Morrow. If you’d like more information or to participate in Ready. Set. WRITE click here.
Monday, July 14-Week 6
1. How I did on last week’s goals– My goal was to revise A VOICE AMONG THE THORNS. I worked on revisions but life intruded and I didn’t finish them. This impacted my goal of querying agents because one should never query an unfinished manuscript (I have that rule down 😉 )
2. My goal(s) for this week- Finish revisions and give A VOICE AMONG THE THORNS a final polish. I’m going to be ambitious and say I’ll begin querying Friday.
3. A one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised- Inserting scenes I’d cut in an attempt to get my word count down. The beta reader’s comments showed me where I cut out too much. It’s so hard to determine the YA sweet-spot. I’ve heard 70,000 words is the absolute ceiling then I read 80,000 is the norm for YA contemporary. It looks like I’m going to end up at 75,000 when I’ve finished revising. For those of you writing YA, what are your thoughts on word count?
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write)–Finding time to write and being motivated. My inspiration puttered out last week. I think the constant interruptions had something to do with it.
5. Something I love about my WiP–I’m quite pleased with it. All the time, effort and perseverance were worth it.
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Good luck to you on your goals!