If you’re wondering what Ready. Set. WRITE! is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, planning, and keeping each other accountable. We will be sharing our goals on Mondays, keeping our posts BRIEF (2-3 lines per heading) so we can spend more time on writing and less time on blogging. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Erin Funk, and Jaime Morrow. If you’d like more information or to participate in Ready. Set. WRITE click here.
Monday, July 6-Week 5
I can’t believe it’s week 5 already.
1. How I did on last week’s goals–A few weeks ago I participated in an online workshop to prepare submission packets for querying. Feedback from the agent reviewing the material was due last week. I received positive feedback and great suggestions from Marisa Corvisiero on my submission packet for A VOICE AMONG THE THORNS and the same from the beta readers on the manuscript. Huge sigh of relief. No major overhauls, just a few minor revisions.
2. My goal(s) for this week- I already revised the query and synopsis based on Marisa’s suggestions. For the upcoming week I plan to make the necessary revisions to the manuscript, reread it and begin querying Friday. I’m really motivated to get this done. I read in an agent interview that summer is the best time to query because not as many writers query over the summer.
3. A one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised- The revised paragraph of my query.
Seventeen-year-old Jersey Alexa (Jax) Mason is allergic to drama. Unfortunately, from the moment her boyfriend dumps her on a crowded dance floor, drama follows Jax like an unwanted stray. Amanda Rosenbaum’s reappearance and rumors of her time in the “looney bin” provide a welcome distraction. Jax doesn’t get that the real drama is just beginning.
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write)-Getting everything done.
5. Something I love about my WiP–It’s almost ready to submit to agents. It’s taken a long time and I’ve killed thousands of my babies to get to this point.
It’s been great connecting with so many other writers. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Good luck to you on your goals this week!